Skip the fried and frozen islands and make these crispy air fryer chicken tenders. Made with a simple excavator, these are just as deep-fried tenders. The sliced and lightly dried chicken fingers are golden and crispy and are sure to be a hit in your home!
- Know your ingredients:
- ● Chicken tenders:
- ● Buttermilk:
- ● Flour:
- ● Cornstarch:
- ● Garlic Powder:
- ● Egg:
- ● Cornflakes:
- ● Seasoned Breadcrumbs:
- ● Cajun seasoning low sodium:
- Recipe, Ingredients, Tips and Nutritional information
Know your ingredients:
Before learning the process of the recipe, be informed about ingredients first.
● Chicken tenders:
Chicken tenders contain approx. 18.5g of protein, 15g of fat. Out of fat content, 2.5-2.9g is saturated fat. Chicken tenders are rich in unsaturated fat like Omega 3, Omega 6, and fatty acids. About 17.3-20.3g of carbohydrates are present in every 100g of chicken tenders.
Vitamin B9(Folic acid)
Buttermilk is a milky liquid that lefts after churning the butter from refined cream. If we roughly calculate, one cup of buttermilk has 100 calories and 2.2g fat. Buttermilk is easy to digest, and a good source of protein as it contains 8.1g of protein. To make chicken pieces more tender, soak them in buttermilk before coating with breadcrumbs.
Flour is a rich source of riboflavin, niacin, and thiamine. It is also a good source of iron, phosphorus, and zinc. Flour contains 455 calories, 1.2g fat, 3mg sodium, 95.4g carbohydrate, 3.4g fiber, 0.3g sugar, and 12.9g protein.
The quantity of all these things varies in different types of flour.
Whole Wheat Flour
White Cake Flour
– Best way to store flour?
The best way to store flour is that freeze the flour first then transfer it to a plastic or glass container with a tight sealing lid. It will last for 3-4 months. If it is stored in the freezer, it will last for a year.
Cornstarch acts as a binder and thickener. Cornstarch is used to thicken sauces or soups. It provides a light coating to meat. Cornstarch protects the meat from heat. It cooks the food crispy. Cornstarch is used in recipes all over the world especially in North America and Asia.
– Substitution of cornstarch:
If cornstarch isn’t available, the best substitute is the flour but make sure that you add the right quantity;
1tbsp of cornstarch= 2tbsp of flour
● Garlic Powder:
Garlic powder is used to add flavor to the dishes. It usually has a sweet and savory taste. Garlic powder has low cholesterol and is quite helpful in thinning the blood. Garlic powder is a remedy for heart diseases and digestion problems.
Garlic is a good source of nutrients, but most of these nutrients are not found in garlic powder. The percentages of different nutrients in 2 tablespoons of garlic powder are:
- Iron 5-6
- Potassium 4-5%
- Phosphorus 6-7%
- Zinc 5%
- Honey 11%
- Manganese 8%
- Selenium 8%
- Vitamin B1 7%
- Vitamin B6 19%
– Can garlic clove be used instead of garlic powder?
Before replacing garlic powder with garlic clove make sure the measurements are correct.
1/4tsp of garlic powder = 1 garlic clove
Garlic powder is often used for seasoning after mixing it in olive oil.
– How to make garlic powder at home?
Peel and thinly slice the garlic. Place garlic slices under sun or dehydrator racks without overlapping. When it is fully dried add garlic in the blender and blend it until a fine powder is formed.
Egg plays a vital role in the leavening, binding, coating, and emulsifying the food. It helps ingredients to adhere.
Eggs are rich in nutrients. They are a good source of protein. It fulfills the 40% of the daily requirement of vitamin D, 25% of the daily requirement of folate, 12% of the daily requirement of vitamin B2, and 20% of selenium. Being rich in vitamins (almost 11 vitamins) and minerals, eggs are the easy way to intake nutrients. It is also among the ones that are sources of vitamin D. Eggs are also very economical and easy to make.
Cornflakes are a popular breakfast cereal, which is made up of toasted flakes of corn and are served with either hot or cold milk. Cornflakes are cholesterol and fat-free. Despite having 100 calories per cup it doesn’t contain any fat. Cornflakes are rich in iron that helps in the maintenance of blood levels.
Cornflakes are rich in protein. Every cup of cornflakes has approx. 2g of protein. It fulfills the 3.5-4% of the daily requirement of protein.
– How to store cornflakes?
Cornflakes can be stored in a glass jar with a tight-fitting lid in a dry place. Moisture should be avoided as it reduces the shelf life of cornflakes.
● Seasoned Breadcrumbs:
Breadcrumbs are rich in nutrients like iron, carbohydrate, selenium, vitamin B1, and sodium. Breadcrumbs are very low in cholesterol. It is an excellent source of Vitamin K, Thiamin, and Manganese.
Seasoned breadcrumbs are easy to make at home. The ingredients used in this are: Italian bread, garlic powder, dried parsley, dried oregano, dried basil, dried thyme, and dried rosemary. Add all these ingredients in a blender and process until fine crumbs are formed. Store it in an airtight container. It will last for 6 months.
● Cajun seasoning low sodium:
Cajun seasoning does not have a fixed recipe, its ingredients vary from just a few to about a dozen. Cajun seasoning is a blend of paprika, onion, and white pepper. Some Cajun seasoning has salt and some don’t. Few recipes include cayenne, turmeric, oregano, and thyme. Cajun seasoning is not much nutritious. The spices used in it own a series of benefits. The nutrients in Cajun seasoning are:
- Vitamin B6
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
- Dietary fiber
Although all these nutrients are present in a very small amount they prevent many diseases such as inflammation, constipation, and cancer.
Cajun seasoning is used for flavor in different recipes of chicken and fishes. It can be stored for a long time in an airtight jar in a cool dry place. Always shake before using it.
Recipe, Ingredients, Tips and Nutritional information
Recipe: Crispy air fryer chicken tenders
- 450grams (15ounce) of chicken tenders
- 16 tablespoons (240g) of buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons (120g) of flour
- 1/2 tablespoon (10g) of cornstarch
- 1/4 tablespoon (5g) of cajun seasoning low sodium
- 1/8 tablespoon (2.5g) of garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 120g of seasoned bread crumbs
- 120g of crushed cornflakes
- cooking spray
- Marinate chicken tenders in buttermilk at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Combine the flour, cornstarch, spices, salt and pepper to taste in a bowl. Beat the egg with 10ml of water in another bowl and combine the seasoned breadcrumbs and corn flakes in a third bowl.
- Remove the chicken tenders from the buttermilk, allowing the excess to drip off. Dry with absorbent paper.
- Dip the chicken in the flour mixture to coat it lightly. Dip in the egg and finally dip in the breadcrumb mixture.
- Spray chicken with cooking spray.
- Preheat the deep fryer to 390 ° F(203 ° C).
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan in a single layer and cook for 11 minutes.
- For batch cooking, cook all chicken dishes in small batches. Once all the tendrils are cooked, put them all together in the pan and heat for 2 minutes. Pat the roast chicken dry so that the breadcrumbs adhere completely (this also prevents them from getting smoked). so that they can coat the chicken pieces evenly. Make sure you don’t overcook. The chicken should reach 165 degrees.
- Store leftover tenders in an airtight container or large resealable bag in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
- To reheat them and keep them crispy, you can use your deep fryer. Preheat to 350F and bake the baking sheets for 5 to 10 minutes, turning them in half, until very hot.
- For great coverage on chicken roasts, be sure to cut them evenly so they cook evenly.
- Chicken dishes are tender when not overcooked! Use a meat thermometer and test one or two pieces at 165 ° F before removing them from the fryer.
Prep. Time: 5mins
Cook Time: 33mins
Total Time: 38mins
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrients per serving:
- Calories: 409
- Carbohydrates: 52g
- Protein: 33g, Fat: 7g
- Saturated Fat: 2g
- Cholesterol: 120mg
- Sodium: 627mg
- Potassium: 628mg
- Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 7g
- Vitamin A: 996IU
- Vitamin C: 8mg
- Calcium: 108mg
- Iron: 11mg